Linda wrote for the Toronto Star. Here is an archive of those articles:
- I ate my way through Colombia, from crunchy ‘big booty’ ants to homestyle food-market dishesby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on October 21, 2022 at 10:00 am
Everything I ate was propelled by Colombia’s place as the second most biodiverse nation on Earth.
- He’s tamed Timothée Chalamet’s hair, made Stellan Skarsgård enormous and turned Jake Gyllenhaal into an amputee — ‘Dune’ makeup artist Donald Mowat is a Hollywood favouriteby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on October 22, 2021 at 9:00 am
The Montreal-born Mowat worked closely with director Denis Villeneuve on the looks for ‘Dune.’ And once he’s done an actor’s makeup they keep coming back for more, including stars like Daniel Craig and Mark Wahlberg.
- True crime doc about Bruce McArthur hints at possible motivation of Toronto serial killerby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on April 29, 2021 at 5:18 pm
Producer says he hopes the documentary will bring a deeper understanding “of the many factors that went into creating Bruce McArthur and abetting his crimes.”
- What can a group of American nomads teach an Oscar-nominated director? A lot, says Chloé Zhaoby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on April 8, 2021 at 12:00 pm
For the real people in ‘Nomadland’ who live full-time in their vans, RVs and pickup trucks, the pandemic was just another bump in the road, Zhao tells Linda Barnard. She has learned to slow down and focus on what’s important.
- David Suzuki on youth-led activism, finding meaning in a messed-up world and taking his clothes off for publicityby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on November 2, 2020 at 1:00 pm
‘The Nature of Things’ is set to launch it’s 60th season on Nov. 6.
- Filmmaker watched Greta Thunberg go from shy, solitary teen protester to world famous climate activistby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on October 12, 2020 at 12:00 pm
‘I seriously had no idea that this was going to translate into something that was going to go beyond Swedish national television,’ says Nathan Grossman, the director of ‘I Am Greta.’
- Anthony Hopkins, Kate Winslet honoured at TIFF virtual gala at Lightbox theatreby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on September 15, 2020 at 4:54 pm
Only TIFF co-heads Cameron Bailey and Joana Vicente, along with show hosts Chloe Wilde and Tyrone Edwards of ETALK were in the theatre as part of an hourlong CTV broadcast.
- ‘The Laundromat’ director Steven Soderbergh saw an urgent need to carve Panama Papers scandal downby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on October 4, 2019 at 10:00 am
Keeping pace brisk in ‘The Laundromat’ seen as vital to keep audience from being ‘overwhelmed with the amount of data.’
- Meryl Streep delivers emotional speech — and serenades the crowd — during TIFF tribute gala at the Royal Yorkby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on September 10, 2019 at 12:11 pm
The evening gave guests a rare chance to sit down to supper with Hollywood notables (including Joaquin Phoenix) and rising stars, moviemakers and industry luminaries.
- Renée Zellweger on looking past tragedy to find ‘so much joy’ in Judy Garland biopic at TIFFby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on September 9, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Returning from long hiatus, movie star finds acuity and longing for domesticity in buzzy portrayal of ’40s superstar.
- Looking for celebrities during TIFF? Here’s our map to the starsby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on September 5, 2019 at 9:00 am
Your best bets for star-spotting during the Toronto International Film Festival
- Chernobyl’s Jessie Buckley takes a star turn in Wild Roseby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on June 20, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Irish actor Buckley stars as a Glasgow single mother dreaming of Nashville stardom in movie that debuted at TIFF in 2018.
- Julianne Moore’s Gloria Bell is endearing and enduringby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on March 14, 2019 at 4:30 pm
Moore’s never been more engaging as a plucky grownup seeking romance, no matter the obstacles.
- TIFF women’s rally supporters explain why they’ll take over King St. on Saturdayby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on September 7, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Backers of Share Her Journey event, including Canada’s Mia Kirshner, lay out personal reasons for their support.
- Yorkville makes surprise comeback as TIFF party destinationby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on September 3, 2018 at 12:30 pm
While the business of TIFF stays downtown, some of the hottest parties this year are coming back to the festival’s birthplace. The festival kicks off Thursday.
- Peter Howell: What to see at TIFF 2018by Peter Howell - Movie Critic,Bruce DeMara - Entertainment Reporter,Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on August 30, 2018 at 11:00 am
Capsule reviews of some of the films at the Toronto International Film Festival, which runs Sept. 6 to 16.
- Grace Jones, still glorious, in Bloodlight and Bamiby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on May 31, 2018 at 9:02 pm
- Helen Mirren glad to revisit old friendship with Donald Sutherland in road-trip movie The Leisure Seekerby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on March 15, 2018 at 4:00 am
Film deals frankly with aging and death: ‘It’s not a subject we see a lot,’ says its British star.
- Life-changing role in A Fantastic Woman has trans performer looking aheadby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on February 8, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Daniela Vega will play a cisgender woman in next film and says her ‘creativity has no limits.’
- Billy Elliot star Jamie Bell back on the dance floor with Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpoolby Linda Barnard - Special to the Star on January 24, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Scene in new film with Annette Bening gracefully expresses characters’ ‘sexual gravitation’ toward each other, says actor.